My response to a ‘cisgendered’ trans activist who called me a ‘disgusting human being’


I get all kinds of interesting calls on the phone. I never really know who it might be. Sometimes a politician or a school trustee. Sometimes a bishop. Sometimes a crank. 
I’m glad I didn’t pick up phone calls on Saturday. Instead, I let them go to voicemail. But when I checked one message later that evening, I couldn’t believe what someone — who identified himself as a “moral human being” — went out of his way to tell me. 
“Hello Pete, I just read your article written on January 18. And I have to say you are an absolutely disgusting human being,” the caller said. 
My mind immediately went racing. What article had I written on that date that so offended this fellow? I continued listening to the message.
“I mean seriously, don’t you understand that some people are naturally transgendered, that accepting them does not in any way threaten anybody else’s way of life. And how can you say that the LGBT movement is trying to destroy…”
The caller went on to tell me that his father is a “trans-woman” who, as a human rights lawyer, has helped “more people — I am sure — than you have ever helped, or anybody you know has ever helped, in your entire life.”
I frantically searched for the article I had written that day, wondering what on earth could have made this fellow utter such hatred against me. I found it quickly. It was a news report I had written — not an opinion piece where the writer is free to say whatever is on his mind about a given topic — involving the transgender topic. In a news report, the writer simply states the facts about what happened. The title of my report explains what facts I wrote about: Catholic teacher takes class to see gay-themed ‘Kinky Boots’ for lesson in ‘diversity and acceptance’
In the report I wrote: “’Kinky Boots’ tells the story of an owner of a struggling shoe factory who saves his business by teaming up with a drag queen to make stiletto-heeled boots for transvestite performers. The show overflows with innuendos suggesting, in the words of reviewer Lauren Yarger, that ‘everyone, regardless of the sexual preferences, is OK and should be accepted for who they are.’”
Given that the Catholic faith teaches that God created human beings as “male and female” and that men and women honor God by appropriately attiring their bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit, I reached out to the school principal asking why Catholic students were being brought to a show with a message at odds with a Catholic understanding of sexuality. I never did hear back. 
My piece was strictly factual. There was no opinion inserted anywhere. No hidden agenda. Just the facts. But facts that my Holy Saturday caller did not agree with. He accused me of putting together “conspiracy theory bulls**t and spreading this hate.”
But there was not an ounce of hate in my article. My boss assigned me this particular piece so parents could be alerted about what their children were being exposed to in Catholic schools, namely an ideology that is completely opposed to Catholic teaching on the human person created in the image of God as male and female. We believe parents have an absolute right to know what influences their children are encountering at school and when school administration may not be fulfilling their duties entrusted to them by parents. 
My caller obviously had a different perspective. He told me: “Don’t you understand that some people are naturally transgendered, that accepting them does not in any way threaten anybody else’s way of life?”
If only this were true. But it is the opposite that is true. When Western culture started accepting the biological lie that sexual characteristics don’t matter in how one “identifies” as a male or female, this eventually became codified in anti-discrimination laws. Soon gender ideology was forcibly spoon fed to children in schools across the country under the guise of creating “safe and inclusive learning environments.” 
The expression of the difference between boys and girls is alarmingly being erased in schools with the push for gender neutral bathrooms, change rooms, sports teams, and now all-gender cabins on school camping trips. A culture that has deliberately erased the complementary sexual difference between males and females is doomed to social anarchy and then collapse as people will have lost the ability to relate to one another on the most fundamental level. 
My caller friend said to me at the end of the call: “May you become a nice and loving human being.”
In all honesty, I try to be a loving human being. That’s what drives me to continue writing about difficult and sensitive issues at LifeSiteNews, such as life, marriage, and sexuality. I am deeply concerned about the individuals caught up in destructive actions and practices that harm them and those around them. I see so many poisons our culture is consuming. I want nothing more than to warn people about how dangerous these poisons are and that they should stay far away from them. 
I do my best to communicate truth in our disturbing times in the most gentle and loving way possible. Truth in love, that’s our method of operation. The truth is, I want nothing more than that every single human life be welcomed as a beautiful gift, that all children grow up in a home with a loving mom and dad, and that all persons learn to live a glorious life according to the beautiful biology that God endowed them with at the moment of their creation.
To some people, this amounts to me being a hater. But the way I see it, I’m just loving people, even the ones who call me hurtful names, in the truth. And I will continue to write about the truth in love, no matter what names are hurled at me, because as a pro-life-and-family reporter, this is the task God has entrusted to me. 
Dear reader, if you want to see LifeSiteNews continue our mission of communicating truth in love, then please, please consider giving us a donation in our crucial fundraising campaign. We have only a few days left and a long way to go to reach our goal. We need your help to keep our mission going. Together we can make a stand for our culture. Thank you for your support. 

Popular posts from this blog

Ontario Catholic school board to vote on flying gay ‘pride flag’ at all board-run schools

Christian baker must make ‘wedding’ bakes for gay couples, court rules

Australia: Gay Hate tribunals are coming