Confused Lesbian Journalist student who knows better than God



Isabelle Laker is a journalism student who wrote an article for the Brisbane Times asking the question: Why do 34 Anglican schools want the right to reject gay people like me?

She tells her story but completely misses the point regarding Christian education. For Laker, Christian values are limited to, "respect and treated everyone with dignity."

But is that the full picture of Christianity?

Below is her story.
My teacher, a kind but reserved woman in her thirties, was referring to one of my classmates. The one who spread the rumor that was going around about me. The one where I was a lesbian. I was 14 years old, two years into my high school career at one of the Lower North Shore's exclusive Christian private girls’ schools, and the rumor was true.

She spoke to me with respect and treated me with dignity, the way our school taught us to interact with everyone. With Christian values.
In a school where I could be expelled for my sexual orientation, my biggest problem was not staff, but students. I am not saying that this is unique to religious schools. Growing up being different to your peers is a universal experience for LGBTI kids. I regulated my behavior because if you deviated from the norm, you became a target. After graduating high school in 2015, I looked back on my teary conversation with my teacher.

I realized that she knew once I finished school things would start to get easier. But it would be best all round if I kept my head down during high school.My school created an environment of learning and achievement against a backdrop of faith-building and Christianity. 

This is where Isabelle tries to divert the argument and lay false blame

But wealth, religion and politics all intertwined to create an environment where sex and sexuality were hush-hush. Sex education classes were limited, and we barely learnt about our own bodies. We were preached abstinence and told of the dangers of teenage sex. Wealth, religion and politics all intertwined to create an environment where sex and sexuality were hush-hush.

This is where Isabelle belittles the position of Christianity on the sin of homosexuality.

They want to keep their right to discriminate against a range of students and staff until they have laws to protect religious freedom. Religious schools are protecting their sheltered culture. I agree that in certain circumstances schools should have the right to employ teachers who adhere to their faith and uphold their values. It makes sense that someone teaching Year 7 Christian spiritual development would be a Christian.
This is where Isabelle attempts to smear the churches position on homosexuality by attempting to includes argument about breast feeding. Yet she is correct if her reference to martial status refers to living together.

But I struggle to see how the current exemptions under the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 ensure this right. Take one look at the existing exemptions and tell me how someone’s marital status, gender identity or even breastfeeding would hinder their ability to follow Christianity.
This is where Isabelle believes she has Christian faith while promoting a sinful disobedient lifestyle of homosexuality.

The letter touches on the importance of teachers as mentors and exemplars. During my high school years, I wish I had learned from teachers like me, who were free to talk about both their faith and about their same-sex partner.
This is where Isabelle is wrong. The Christian scriptures condemn the sin of homosexuality and lesbianism - Romans 1. 
Christianity and homosexuality aren’t mutually exclusive.

This is where Isabelle believes the Christian faith accepts everybody with repentance of sin.

There is a disconnect between Christian teachings on mercy, love and acceptance, and those on gender and sexuality. In the law, we have to weigh up religious freedom and the rights of individuals to live free from discrimination. But why does this battleground have to be the playground?

This is where Isabelle contradicts herself completely regarding the influence and mentoring role of teachers hence the churches prohibition of homosexuality in teachers who would share and promote their sinful lifestlye.

My former school was not on the list of 34 schools. Thirty-four schools full of children like me hearing loud and clear that, sure, they won’t be kicked out if they’re gay, bisexual, intersex or transgender.
This is where Isabelle believes that homosexuality is just different and not a sin

But their school wants to reserve the right to do so. Thirty-four schools full of kids like the girl who spread the rumor about me. Kids who are given a free pass to discriminate against people who are different because if the school has that right, why wouldn't the students?
This is where Isabelle was not taught the Christian faith but to be a social justice warrior apart from the Christian faith.

My former school taught girls to be fiercely independent and to fight injustice. Former students of my school are circulating a petition against the sentiment of the open letter. 

This is where Isabelle believes that God's biblical and historical instructions on homosexuality are oppressive and she knows better than the creator of the universe.

It cites the core values of the school, and it is nice to know that my former peers have emerged from the shadow of repressive teachings. My classmates did grow out of it. It will take a while for religious schools to do the same.

Isabelle Laker is a journalism student.

Popular posts from this blog

Ontario Catholic school board to vote on flying gay ‘pride flag’ at all board-run schools

Christian baker must make ‘wedding’ bakes for gay couples, court rules

Australia: Gay Hate tribunals are coming